From the Principal’s Desk
Welcome to the school website!
The staff at Guru Angad Dev Elementary School is looking forward to begin the 2017-2018 school year and extends a warm welcome to you and your family. G.A.D. strives to provide a quality education to students in a positive learning environment. We ensure that our students feel safe, accepted, and respected while working on a wide range of activities to learn and grow.
We are excited to announce that starting this new school year, Grade 8 will also be offered at our school. This will allow our students to continue learning and achieving higher education while being rooted in their culture. This year, we also offer a band program as well as an accelerated reading program so our students can broaden their understanding of music and improve their reading skills. Our staff and teachers collaborate on instructional strategies and lesson plans based on the BC curriculum for the benefit of the children. They cater to students holistically by recognizing each student’s unique talents, skills, and potential. Thus, giving each and every student the attention necessary to achieve higher goals.
At G.A.D. Elementary School, we see parents as partners and encourage them to be actively involved in their child’s education. Open communication between family and school has a significant impact on the growth of the child academically, socially, and emotionally. As parents, you can play a very positive role by making sure of the following:
• Your child attends school on time every day.
• Ask your child about his/her day in school, what (s)he learned, what (s)he enjoyed most and was (s)he happy.
• Check your child’s planner for any information from the school, such as newsletter, upcoming events etc.
• Encourage your child to read every day for twenty minutes at home, or read to them.
• Contact the school, or e-mail/phone the principal or teacher with any questions or concerns.
• Attend parent teacher conference to learn about your child’s progress.
• Sign up to help and volunteer at school events and field trips.
We welcome and encourage you to get involved in the various volunteer opportunities that may be available during the school year. As a volunteer, you will play an important role in enriching the educational program and promote shared responsibilities for the students, teachers, and school staff.
As a team, we remain strongly committed. Together, we can make 2017–2018 a very successful and productive school year!